Yesterday was a great day. The electrical inspector came (again), and this time, I passed my rough in inspection. Better still, late last week, the electric company came and actually got me online.
Now, the back story. I did hire an electrician to install the new panel, and to tie in what I had wired myself (fist time!). Once the electrician was done, I called the inspector, and he… well, he inspected. The good news was that the panel passed, and the electric company could connect me, the bad news was that he didn’t like my outlet wiring. It turns out that our little town, or at least, our little towns inspector is fond of pig tails. So, he told me to put pig tails on all of my outlets that were in the middle of circuits. I guess that it’s for the best. Now, if an outlet fries, the rest of the circuit will still work. Live and learn.
So, for any who are curious, here’s what I installed:
3 110V/20A circuits for the walls (total of 17 outlets)
1 110V/20A circuit for the overhead lights
1 110V/20A circuit for the ceiling fans (2)
3 220V/30A circuits for the big equipment (bandsaw, jointer/plater/table saw)
1 220V/20A circuit for the HVAC – it will be a PTAC – 11,000 BTU heat pump.
I did have to change where the panel was to be installed due to the TV and phone lines being too close to install the mast. I had hoped for it to be invisible from the back yard, but alas, it wasn’t to be:
You can also see my new entry door there – still need to finish painting the outside, when it warms up a bit.
I spent last night getting all of the outlets stuffed back into their boxes. It’s great to be able to actually plug things in!
This weekend I will be installing the lighting. The main lighting will be from (4) 8x fluorescent fixtures with (2) 95 watt daylight bulbs each. Supplemental will be the lights on the ceiling fans (3×60watt each), and some halogen shop lights for task lighting.
-- To do is to be