I can’t find a pic of the new side door, but that’s OK, it doesn’t take much imagination: white, steel, doorknob, dead bolt. That’s about it. I won’t miss the paddlock that I had been using.
So, the outside is coming along nicely, the wind isn’t whipping through the place, and I’ve made several hundred mud dauber wasps homeless. On to the next set of problems. When I started, there was a partition wall running down the middle of the garage, and a small 4×8 area that was walled in as part of a kennel. They all had to go! (pics later, if I can find them).
OK, I’ve now had one continuous space. There is still a problem though. The ceiling. Well, not exactly a ceiling, but the trusses were build such that I had cross beams (2×4 and 2×6 mixed) at about 7’6”. I know from working in the basement, that this will not do. So, I put on my thinking cap, and more importantly called a friend who is a framing carpenter. Together, we came up with a solution – make a vaulted ceiling.
After the new (and much stronger) truss/ceiling frame was in place, I was able to cut out the cross beams. Now, I had a ceiling that was at about 7’6” at the outside walls, but 10’6” in the center. The difference was amazing!
Up next episode: The trials and tribulations of electricity.
And, a follow up question for you: I’m trying to decide what to do about covering the walls. Sadly, the studs are unevenly spaced, so whatever I do will doubtless be a pain. Currently, I’m considering:
Drywall (cheap, but I really don’t like it)
T&G 1/2” plywood
-- To do is to be