We bought an old bungalow in 2003. I knew nothing about woodworking, and very little about home repair. Our “new” house was built in 1918, and had spend the last 5 years or so as section 8 housing. Let’s just say that it “needed some work”. So, as the rehab progressed, so did my interest in woodworking. I set up a small area in the unfinished basement for my workshop. As time went by, and tools were bought, I took over more and more space, much to the dismay of my wife. The house rehab will be the topic of another blog.
Fast forward to last year. I’ve got the wood bug, and I’ve got it bad. The basement is cramped, with low ceilings, poor access, and an unlevel floor that goes every which way. To top it off, I decide that I NEED to upgrade several machines. The new ones will be from the Godzilla/Sumo family. A jointer/planer that weighs in at over 500lbs, a band saw that’s about the same, and don’t even get me started on the table saw that I want.
The biggest problem (besides space) is that it would be quite impossible to bring these beasts down into the basement. So, LOML graciously told me that I could rehab the 2 car, detached garage, and make it into my new shop. Joy! Rapture! Oh crap! Siding, doors, electricity, insulation, walls… It was going to be a long haul.
Still, I was excited. It would be mine, all mine.
Here’s a “before” shot.
-- To do is to be