So I’ve finished the project. I ended up learning quite alot. I just want to thank the guys at the Sawdust Chronicles (http://thesawdustchronicles.com/) for putting on this contest. It has been great motivation to both complete the project and push myself to get the best results I could. So thanks a bunch.
So there were rules to this contest and I stuck to the rules pretty good.
Size: Had to fit in a 32×30x30 cube. The longest dimention is 31 7/8th from side to side. Barely squeezed it in. All else was less than 30.
Expenses: Total ~$135
Wood – Solid cherry – Approximately 15 board feet. $4.50 a board foot Cost $67 bucks
Sand Paper – 30 bucks
Screws & biscuits – 2 bucks
Wipe on Poly – 15 bucks
Walnut pegs – 5 bucks
Glue – 10 bucks
Sanding Drums (2) – 5 bucks
Solid cherry boards & some walnut plugs.
Wood filler. – No store bought wood filler used. I did make my own using sawdust and glue. I used this on the plugs, when I cut them flush there was some tearout.
Finishing Materials: Wipe on poly
Adhesives: Tight bond
Joinery: Butt Joints, screws and biscuits
Tools: No new tools bought.
Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and support
Pics are available in the projects section. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/39476
-- Jon In Sunny California