A few months back I began searching for a 14” band saw. I had my dad’s 9” Ryobi and needless to say hit the limitation ceiling with it PDQ. In my search I finally found a mid-90’s model Craftsman Professional 14”. The seller had gotten it from a neighbor but had never used it. When I turned it on it screamed like a banshee. The blade was way out of alignment, and when I opened it up, sections of the dry, rotted tires fell out. At only $75 and there being nothing that I felt I couldn’t fix on it, I decided I couldn’t pass it up. It needed a good bit of work but for the price I didn’t mind. Got it home and gave it a good going over. The table was badly rusted and the guide blocks and roller bearings were just something that had once been a good idea.
I gave everything a good cleaning and ordered new tires off ebay, and a new roller bearing, and blade table insert from Sears which were the only parts that really needed to be replaced. Because of the arrangement of the motor being located behind the saw, and the legs for the stand being splayed, it really took up more real estate than I wanted to give up since I’m using just slightly over one half of a two car garage. I decided to build a new stand and relocate the motor below the saw. After a few speed bumps along the way, I finally got it set up like I wanted, and mounted it to a mobile base. Added the new parts when they came in, and gave the table a good cleaning. Found a couple of small gouges but nothing that’ll affect my work. Aligned everything and gave it a test run. Everything worked great! Made me a happy camper.
I did end up replacing the stock blocks with Cool Blocks. I also need to get some new blades as the only one it came with was the stock blade. It took longer than I’d hoped to get everything done, but I’m pleased with the results, and the cost. I still need to make a drawer to go on the bottom under the motor for storage but I’m not in too big a hurry for that yet.