LumberJocks

Yet Another Craftsman 113 Saw Blog #3: A bit more progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jonlruss posted 08-13-2015 10:04 PM 1022 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Short Update Part 3 of Yet Another Craftsman 113 Saw Blog series Part 4: Phase 1 complete »

Thought I’d be done with my immediate plans for the saw, but real life along with 100+ temperatures have conspired to keep me out of the garage. After a few fits and starts on getting the fence done, I finally got finished installing it last Saturday. Good thing one of the other times I had started it that I didn’t finish as I found I had measured from the blade wrong for my zero line. Having gotten that straightened out I figured it’d be smooth sailing from then on I was wrong. I had decided to drill the cast iron of the saw table and use the existing holes in the rails. Started on the front of the table and it went great. Until…
The hole was right next to a web under the table top. So, after much cussing and debating on how to proceed I decided to use the grinder to notch the web just enough to get the nut to fit. Somewhat to my amazement I got it without too much trouble and the rail snugged right up.

Then to the back rail I went and having learned my lesson from the front of the table before I started any drilling I checked for webbing. Turned out one of the holes I was going to have to drill was not only right next to a web again, but went through the case of the saw right at the corner. Ok, new plan. For the back I’m drilling holes in the rail. A drill, a bit of patience and a little 3-in-1 oil later I had my holes. From there on it was smooth sailing. Getting the fence aligned got a little aggravating at a couple of points but nothing major. It’s all done now and glides like it’s on ice.for the most part.

Next project was mounting the paddle switch. I have some angle aluminum I found in dad’s shop that I thought would make a perfect mount for the switch. So, mounted the metal cutting blade to the band saw and got to work… right up until the piece was too big for the way I was needing to cut it (dad’s 9” Ryobi band saw. I keep hoping to upgrade to a 14” before too long). Not to be deterred I got the angle grinder out and in no time was done with my cutting. A little bending and I had my mount.
The plan is to weld the part I bent and then mount it under the fence rail. I got the torch out along with the welding rod (for lack of a better term), and started at it. I guess my step son ran most of the propane out of the cylinder though as I couldn’t keep the torch lit so that brought my little plan to an abrupt halt. I had gotten into the garage late to do this and since it was getting later. I decided to call it quits for the night. Going out of town for the weekend so not sure when I’ll be able to get back out there. I’m getting kind of itchy to though. The end of phase 1 is near an end and I want to finish.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com