So after several years of wanting a shop building, or to at least be able to set up a small shop in the garage, the garage option presented itself and I’ve been working towards making part of one side of the garage into something usable for woodworking. I’d finally reached the goal I’d been trying to get to, which is having it to the point I could bring my dad’s table saw to the house so I can actually get some projects going. Like so many others, my dad had bought a Craftsman 113 series (it’s a mid-90’s model: 113.299410). It fortunately came with the XR2424 fence, but having used it when the saw was at my mom’s house, I knew I’d want something better on it when it became mine.
Thursday of last week I was finally able to disassemble the saw, remove it from the base dad had built and bring it home. Overall it’s in great shape. The top had at one point gotten a spot of rust on it which I had cleaned off. Now it’s got several little rust spots from me dripping sweat all over it while taking it apart. Didn’t get a pic of it before bringing it home, but took a couple after I did.
I sat it on the base sideways when I got it home just to roll it into the garage.
Here you can see the front of the base. Dad was the accountant for a cabinet company and managed to “obtain” several cabinet doors (almost none of which match), some drawer fronts, and lots of oak scrap. You can see he put some of all those things to use in building the base.
First order of business for the saw was to give it a good cleaning inside the case. It wasn’t too terribly bad, but there was some gunking of lube on the height and tilt screws. Blew it out with the air compressor gun, then vacuumed it out. After that gave the appropriate parts a good going over with dry lube. Also noticed that the threaded rod for the tilt has a slight bend in it. Doesn’t affect the operation so I’m not too worried about it.
After cleaning and lubing, I got it set back on the base facing the right direction and was going to reattach it, but my stepson was hovering over me like a buzzard over road kill because he needed to go to Autozone so I wasn’t able to get anything else done. Tonight I’m going to try to get back out there and finish reattaching it to the base, reattach the motor (which I have a link belt for that I’ll be adding), and get the rust spots off the top. Once those things are done I have a Delta T3 fence for it I’d already bought, so installing that will be next. Once I get the fence on, the wings reinstalled, and everything aligned I have a few pieces of a scrapbooking table I’m building for the wife I need to trim down on it. Once that’s done I have other plans for the saw. While the base my dad built for it is functional enough, I want to build a workstation that will incorporate my table router. I still haven’t decided whether to build the table I have into the workstation, or just parts of it. I’ll probably just use parts of it though. I’ve done a lot of looking around and will probably build something similar to the one Greg Wurst did- http://lumberjocks.com/gwurst/blog/4414. I’m also debating on adding a fold down outfeed table to it. Just have to see which direction all this takes me.