LumberJocks

My Version of the $175 Workbench #8: Workbench Post Mortem: One Year Later

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jonah posted 07-14-2015 04:41 PM 1453 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: The End of the Ending Part 8 of My Version of the $175 Workbench series no next part

I was cleaning up my bench this week after doing a bit of sharpening of my chisels and a plane iron or two, and I decided to do a sort of a “post-mortem” on my workbench project.

Costs:

11 2×8 12’ boards – $100
Two used vices, from Craigslist – $50
Various nuts, bolts, barrel nuts, and screws – $15
Wood pulls for the doors – $8
Plywood for the cabinet in the base – $25

Total Cost – $198

Time required to complete the bench: ~25 days working on it on and off

Giant contractor bags of shavings/cuttings produced by jointer and planer: 3

I ended up buying 12 2×8s but only needed about 10 1/4 of them, so I had some extra.

The bench has held up great so far. It’s rock solid and a joy to work at. No major movement over the year since I completed it, though I’ve not really checked the flatness of the top. I expect the top to be out of flat when I check, simply because of the high moisture content of the framing lumber I used. I’m resisting checking because I don’t particularly want to spend the time to flatten and refinish it.

Given the chance, I would probably have used some kind of stain on it to give it some color. Arm-R-Seal does have a bit of color to it, but not much, and so it still looks like framing lumber. If I’d stained it, it would look a bit better. Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind if you’re considering a similar project.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com