The bench is done, the holes are drilled. The top is mostly flat (note all the shavings covering the floor).
I put the first coat of finish on today. These pictures are all pre-finish but post-sanding.
Here’s the top with my rehabbed #7 posing.
It probably took an hour or two, all told, to flatten the thing. It’s not perfect, but it’ll do. It’s mostly flat edge to edge, but I think there’s some waviness end to end that I couldn’t diagnose properly with some plywood winding sticks I made. I was pretty pleased with the amount I actually had to take off, which was relatively minimal. The worst high spots needed only a few diagonal and a few straight strokes to level out. I had just sharpened the #7 so it cut through the spruce like a hot knife through butter.