My Version of the $175 Workbench #1: Getting Started

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jonah posted 06-05-2014 07:47 PM 2271 reads 3 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of My Version of the $175 Workbench series Part 2: Coming together »

When we moved into our current abode, I was able to take over about a third of the basement to use as my shop. I decided to ditch the Ikea kitchen cabinets I had been using as a workbench/assembly table and to build something solid.

About a year ago I stumbled across two Columbian vises for sale on Craigslist. They were rust buckets, but in working order. I bought the two of them for $50

I used electrolysis to remove the rust, which worked great. I basically did everything here

They are now painted matte black and ready to install on the bench.

I’m basing my design on the $175 workbench from Popular Woodworking about ten years ago.

I am using 2×8s from a local lumberyard, which has been interesting. I wasn’t initially careful enough about rejecting knotty boards (all construction SPF lumber is knotty, but some are worse than others). I ended up with some unsightly knots right on the edge of the legs.

It currently looks like this:

I’ve got the end assemblies and the top glued up, and am about to size and mill the long stretchers.

2 comments so far

View Buckethead's profile


3194 posts in 2013 days

#1 posted 06-05-2014 07:52 PM

Looks really nice, Jonah. Join us in the work bench smack down thread.

-- Support woodworking hand models. Buy me a sawstop.

View Splinter12's profile


55 posts in 2260 days

#2 posted 06-05-2014 10:22 PM

Looks good, it brings back memories. Finished mine last winter.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics