I expected to be farther than I am but things kept getting in the way. It’s hard finding time for everything when you are retired.
I pulled the clamps scraped the glue squeeze out and sanded to 220. I started to install the drawers for the final fit and found two drawers wouldn’t fit. I had glued in one of the drawer dividers upside down. After talking to myself a little I took a walk came back and cut one of the drawers down fit great and made another drawer. That turned out to be the best drawer I made for this tool chest.I guess practice does help. I also forgot to cut the mortises for the lock bolts. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Had I cut the mortises before gluing in the dividers they probably would not have been in the right place. I used prussian blue on the bolt face and tried locking each lock to get a good imprint from the blue to mark wher I needed to cut. I still needed to enlarge the mortises to actually get things to lock smoothly. When I finished that I was definitely happy I hadn’t cut them first.
With everthing fitting and sanded to 220 I applied the first coat of shellac. Once that driedI located and cut in the lid hinges and lid latch plate. I used the finish to strengthen the edges of the oak so I didn’t have any splintering with the chisel. The oak is super dry and splinters very easily. Thats what happens to wood in a climate where 20% humidity is considered a very humid day in the summer.
I now have the third coat of shellac on waiting for that to dry.
First coat of finish
-- Bruce, Boise, ID