Finally got a few coats of poly on, and mounted the cab in the workbench. Now need some more stuff to fill the drawers. Put some hardboard on to keep dust out of the drawers. Mixed material when you use what is already on hand.
|View John Lowell's:||home||workshop||projects (8)||blog (13)||reviews (1)||forum topics (0)||buddies (1)||favorites (1)||activity log|
128 posts in 884 days
Location: Ijamsville, MD
7/31/13 - Been a bit behind, but got a new job in Feb this year, a lot less time in the shop, but have a few things going. Will try and remember to post. Have been using LJ's to get ideas for improvements, esp in dust collection. Just always think there is a better way.....
Have no idea when this was posted, but it was during my "retirement" -
Am currently between jobs, spending some time most days in the shop.
My skill set is that of a hobby woodworker, started with a portable table saw about 2004 when I built a small shed in Seattle. Slowly building up tools, router, jigsaw, pneumatic nail guns, ROS, etc. Last year purchased a floor standing drill press and have been very happy with the new abilities to drill straight holes.
Since moving to Maryland, I have a basement shop and have tried to get better dust collection. Still working on it, I have been asked by the boss to wall off the air handler for the heating system due to dust entering the return. So, need to get serious about keeping the mess down, organizing and installing the equipment.
Most projects tend to be small to med in size, with one large entertainment center I finished in 2012. I am learning what my skills, tools and space allow, and the 6' top was about the max.
I really like working with the kids and built them a small workbench for their use. They use the space for building small projects and furniture for their own use. They are very helpful in many aspects of the hobby, sanding and cleanup, something about the vacuum and watching the chips disappear keeps them interested.
Will be watching for kid projects and of course DC improvements!
-- Trying, but lots to learn.....
Latest Activity | view all »
|commented on||Walk In Closet Built In - Shoe Organizer||04-28-2015 12:41 AM|
|commented on||Cedar raised beds. Simple and cheap, but effective||04-28-2015 12:30 AM|
|commented on||Another 52 Weeks #7: Preparing...||02-09-2015 10:00 PM|
|added blog entry||Finishing up the workbench cabs||02-09-2015 09:56 PM|
|commented on||Workbench drawers||02-02-2015 09:36 PM|
|commented on||Workbench drawers||02-02-2015 09:50 AM|
|added blog entry||Workbench drawers||02-02-2015 01:47 AM|
|commented on||Another 52 Weeks #2: Shows, Cleaning, and what is to come.||01-04-2015 11:18 PM|
|added project||Small bowls and other gifts||12-24-2014 03:00 AM|
|replied on||The Woodworking Shows- Baltimore||12-23-2014 12:28 PM|
|commented on||Christmas gifts||12-23-2014 11:55 AM|
|added blog entry||Garage Cabinets #8: French cleat system||12-23-2014 12:38 AM|
|added project||Christmas gifts||12-23-2014 12:27 AM|
|commented on||New saw||09-05-2014 01:33 AM|
|commented on||Garage Cabinets #7: workbench fronts and top||08-24-2014 10:53 PM|
Latest Projects | view all 8 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 13 »
Wanted to use up some material, improve storage and add weight to the bench. So, used MDF for carcas, Baltic birch for drawer sides and 1/2 in melamean for bottoms. Got through the first two coats of poly, almost done. Need to get the pulls, pe...
Used one sheet of 1/2 in ply to build two sections of a French cleat system. Then scrap ply for various hangers, none custom, but generic mix of holders, thought it would be quicker and take less thought. A snap of the under cabinet one, w...
another weekend, and working on the garage, again. Cut, shaped and edged the 3/4 in ply first layer, then cut and shaped the 3/4 top layer. Used small sheet, hence the three parts and mismatched backsplash. Also mounted the cab doors and drawer...
Another few weeks, or months, put together a few lower units. Once the three were in, I cut out the custom narrow unit behind the door. A bit messy, and assembled the mirror version only noted when attempting to install. Ended up cutting the th...