LumberJocks

Table Saw Dust Collection #1: Table Saw Dust Collection

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by john1102 posted 796 days ago 2292 reads 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Table Saw Dust Collection series Part 2: PSI Dust Collector (Dust Destroyer) »

I took inspiration from Paul Stoops (fellow LJ) who improved his TS dust collection.

I have a Ridgid R4511 that I wanted to improve the overall dust collection, (some photos show motor covers off since I had a capacitator go bad that I had to replace during the project), since completing this the upgrade has been tremendous, I don’t know of any saws that have as good of collection as this home-made upgrade. Enjoy. (its always better when you make it yourself)

My dust collection varied a little from Paul’s. I have a 4 inch dust collection hose that runs to my machines (single machine usage), so I didn’t want to reduce from 6 to 4 at the machine. I had a local HVAC guy order me a 10” x 4” x 2.25” dust end-boot which worked great. I attached my PSI quick disconnect to the end boot and it looks very clean. I cut out a little of the material on the existing plastic saw opening to increase its size opening a little and then bolted a piece of hardboard with gap filler to the DUST BOOT to attach it to the saw as is seen in the photos.

I then JB weled two pieces of wood above and below the outlet and pipe clamped it together. I put a piece of wood behind the 4 inch outlet to act as a spacer to keep it from moving (can just see the wood in the photo). Very SECURE.

I epoxied the hardboards in place and then ran metal foil (duct) tape over all the seems to smooth all the edges.

One variation on my from Paul’s was that I wanted to be able to easily open the motor hinged cover on the side so I added a board on the bottom to elevate the sloped hardboard so that way when I extended it over the edge of the saw opening it wouldn’t hit when opening and closing. I am also going to add some of those Reid Supply company SC-1919 swell latches, however the suction is so strong it isn’t even needed.
http://www.reidsupply.com/detail.aspx?itm=SC-1910

I added foam under the granite top and steel base where there was just a little space it really helped seal it all up, in the lower right opening of the hinged door I had a very small gap issue so i added a little adhesive backed foam.

The slot that the angle guide and wheel adjustment travel on the front of all saws is a large slot, huge air suction loss spot. I used a thin vinyl magnet (adhesive on one side) I attached orange paper to the adhesive side of the magnet to match the saw. I cut them so they can be adjusted to any blade angle and still seal the slot opening. The naturally attach and hold well to the steel base, works great. With all these improvements the suction power is just awesome, incredibly strong.

Some of the photos are taken out of sequence as far at the build goes, in the end all sides are sloped with no flat edges to catch any dust. I made this for a Ridgid R4511 however any saw cabinet style or hybrid can be modified using ideas such as this, hope this helps and enjoy.



3 comments so far

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

318 posts in 1059 days


#1 posted 796 days ago

Hi John,

It looks like you did a good job of improving your dust collection on your R4511! Your ramps don’t give the sawdust any place to go but down into the outlet duct! I like your quick disconnect, too. Those right angle furnace duct fittings really make for a compact installation. Great addition.

If possible, check your dust collector motor current without the flex duct attached and then again with the duct attached to your saw. If you don’t have a clamp on AC ammeter, just listen to the sound of the DC under those two conditions. With all of the air inlets on the saw closed off, it is possible to restrict your airflow to your DC, in which case, the motor current will be less with the duct connected. And the sound may be less, or you may see the flex duct contracting in length as well, indicating that the fan isn’t getting enough air. Remember that the air containing the sawdust and debris has to come from somewhere, so you have to have some source of make up air. It is just a matter of adjusting the inlet openings to allow enough air intake.

Good job! I know you will enjoy the improved dust collection performance.

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

View john1102's profile

john1102

56 posts in 1166 days


#2 posted 795 days ago

Paul you make a good point. There is some air flow through the hinge door (motor cover) and ZCI insert. I will have to adjust the vinyl magnets on the front to find the right amount of air flow to obtain the highiest level of dust collection. Thanks for the air flow suggestion.

John P.

View jcwalleye's profile

jcwalleye

287 posts in 1571 days


#3 posted 795 days ago

Nice John. Bet the ramps funnel the dust well. I’ve tried to seal up some of the openings on my 4511, though not as nicely as you. I’m going to try a few of your mods.

I also changed the side cover to open from the back instead of the front. Makes it a lot easier to reach the blade guard.

Thanks for the post.

-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase