I had taken the opportunity to sand and hopefully relitively flatten the bench top in the workshop, it looked nice but a couple of winding sticks and an 1800mm straight edge proved it was far from flat.
My Stanley No5 1/2 was sharpened and I went to work. Thankfully there was little twist and after a few diagonal passes the worst of the bumps where gone. I reset the plane for a much shallower cut and began to plane with the grain until I got full length shavings.
I didn’t go mad, I was constantly checking for twist and planing hollows into the workbench.
Once I was happy I squared both edges from my reference surface, by pure look the edges were parallel to one another.
The top surface of the workbench was left alone, flattening that would keep till the bench was built.
Following Chris Schwarz’s advice I then gotten my tail vice, the hardware, a York Tail vice was housed 50mm into the underside of the bench top. That meant removing the material to allow the rails, screw and plate to move freely. I wanted to keep as much of the bench top as possible so I cut away a strident looking housing using a track saw to define the wasted area, an auger bit and a 2” chisel to remove the waste.
I then lag screwed the vice to the bench top and transfered the locations of the rails and screw onto the vice jaw.
I bored slightly oversized holes and the vice was fitted.
I took the time to cut a Roman Ogee detail to the vice jaw, having defined the shape I used a Tenon saw to cut the square reveals and to waste some of the rounded section. The rest of the detail was achieved with a sharp chisel, a rasp and sandpaper.
Even if I say so myself it looks nice.
The Roubo was taking shape and by the end of that day I was one happy carpenter.