Well, the bike is still down. Managed to fix my starting issue, but now it doesn’t hold idle. It’s always something. With modern diagnostics, I can check/change fueling and many other parameters with a laptop. The laptop was out to upload a new map, but unfortunately it isn’t going to help my idle issue. That’s more of a mechanical problem I believe.
Unfortunately for these projects, that means that I still can’t do any work in the garage. That means I need to do some more veneer work upstairs.
I started tonight out by figuring out how I wanted the veneer on the 2 walnut boxes laid out. I decided that I wanted bookmatched panels for the front, the top, and the rear panels on each box. Additionally, I wanted the left side to be a mirror of the right side on each box as well. So, I sat down and planned out my cuts, giving myself about 1/2” in each direction extra for off-cuts/tearout. The walnut veneer is pretty brittle, so it likes to chip out when cutting with the knife.
Once I had all the pieces cut out, I taped the bookmatched panels together, and laid them out to see how it would all look.
For these 2 boxes, the only veneer work I have left to do upstairs is to inlay initials into the fiddleback sycamore that will go on the underside of the lid.
I decided to move onto the third box’s top at this point. I cut out the top panel out of mahogany that somewhat matched the 4/4 Sapele I have on hand, and began to work on the compass rose. I only got the 4 main points done tonight. The smaller 4 points will have to wait for another night.
The white is some remaining white dyed veneer that has some sort of birds eye figure in it. The black is Wenge, which was extremely brittle. This stuff splits constantly. I think for every good point in Wenge I had, I had about 3 or 4 more that were broken in some way. At this point, I’m not sure whether or not I should add the same circular border of Bloodwood and the white veneer that I did for my father’s end tray. I may do something different for edge banding instead.
Tomorrow night will likely be more of the same. Hopefully I can start cutting the substrate this weekend.
-- The quality of one's woodworking is directly related to the amount of flannel worn.