LumberJocks

Boston Red Sox Marquetry Hanging #3: Just keeps getting bigger and bigger

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jmartel posted 06-29-2014 06:13 AM 1029 reads 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Getting more baseball-like Part 3 of Boston Red Sox Marquetry Hanging series no next part

So here is where we left off:

This morning, I finished up the stitching on the other side of the baseball

Once I got that finished, a friend came over and we went to a local car show for most of the day.

When I finally got home, I started working on the outer circles. First thing I had to do was to make a 1/4” wide strip in Wenge that went around the full diameter of the baseball in order to help it stand apart from the larger white background.

From there, I started cutting the holly that would be the outer white circle. The Holly I received is a light yellow, actually, but I like the difference between the white baseball and the outer circle. Plus, I ran out of the dyed white veneer anyway, so it worked out.

Once I got that circle all attached, I had to start working with the tedious bloodwood again. It’s a very nice color, and it’s going to look great when finished, but man this stuff sucks to cut. As I stated in previous blogs, it takes a lot more passes to cut through, and it breaks easier. Eventually I fumbled my way through the outermost circle and arrived at this:

I made sure that I had a relatively smooth outer circle and everything lined up, and then I had to start working on the lettering. First up is the “BOSTON” portion of the logo, since I frankly just didn’t want to work with the Bloodwood anymore today. I used some leftover Walnut Burl for these, just to give it a bit more flair. This Walnut was probably the easiest to cut out of any of them, though it had a bit more tendency to break than the Holly does, which I’d rank second.

Following the same practice as I do with everything else, I taped down the letters and traced them out with the knife:

Once I had all the letters traced out, I pulled the tape and paper off the veneer and cut the letters free. I laid them on top of the back of the veneer to see how everything looks.

Obviously this is not inlayed, and the socks will face the opposite direction.

Starting to get to the end of the veneer work. All that’s left is inlaying the BOSTON, cutting/inlaying the RED SOX, and inlaying the whole thing into the square background.

-- End grain is like a belly button. Yes, I know you have one. No, I don't want to see it.



4 comments so far

View stefang's profile

stefang

13633 posts in 2085 days


#1 posted 06-29-2014 08:06 AM

Looks great. It’s going to be real nice when finished.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1907 posts in 939 days


#2 posted 06-29-2014 11:45 AM

JMart,

You really know your stuff! It’s looking great!

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View Don Broussard's profile

Don Broussard

2141 posts in 1002 days


#3 posted 06-29-2014 02:51 PM

That inlay is already looking great. Nice work cutting the tricky woods. BTW, do you only wear socks in your shop? JK!

-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!

View jmartel's profile

jmartel

2806 posts in 900 days


#4 posted 06-29-2014 04:05 PM

Thanks guys.

Don, I do the veneer work in the kitchen, much to my wife’s dismay.

-- End grain is like a belly button. Yes, I know you have one. No, I don't want to see it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase