LumberJocks

Boston Red Sox Marquetry Hanging #1: Design, and first night's progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jmartel posted 06-26-2014 at 12:57 AM 545 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Boston Red Sox Marquetry Hanging series Part 2: Getting more baseball-like »

After seeing a few of my other veneer works, I was approached to make a Red Sox wall hanging for someone to give as a gift. Seeing as how I am still looking for more experience on this marquetry kick I’m on, I decided to go for it. Now, I’m not a fan of Baseball period, so don’t let this logo make you think I’m a Red Sox fan.

We decided on a rather large size of 24”x24” overall, which will be more beneficial to me for the small pieces that needed cutting. As was seen in my serving tray project, small pieces tend to break much easier with the knife method of cutting veneer.

I took the logo, and blew up the design such that the overall circle diameter is about 18”. Inner Baseball is 12” in diameter.

Next up was to determine the colors/grain patterns I wanted to use. I had just ordered a shipment of veneer from Certainly Wood, and a few of the pieces that came in will be perfect.

The red in the logo will be Bloodwood, the center white section will be the dyed white veneer I had leftover from my serving tray, the black/blue outlines will be Wenge, the letters to spell BOSTON will be Walnut Burl left over from my Triumph wall hanging, and the outer circle will be Holly.

After coming back home from Sailing, I decided to start cutting the pieces tonight, working my way from the inside out. The first items to be cut are the red sox. The Bloodwood veneer is probably the hardest veneer I have attempted to cut so far. It took 10+ cuts in order to get completely through the veneer, as opposed to my normal 3 cuts for most other woods. Definitely slows down my progress. Also, like when cutting solid wood, I find the odor of Bloodwood unpleasant. I wasn’t expecting to be able to smell it as much as I did.

From there, I cut out 2 half-circles out of the white veneer for the inner circle. Once those were taped together, I set to inlaying the sox. The first inlay operation went pretty smoothly, with little to no gaps visible. Hopefully the rest of the project can go this smoothly.

Taped in place:

And viewed from the backside:



3 comments so far

View stefang's profile

stefang

12973 posts in 1971 days


#1 posted 06-26-2014 at 04:40 AM

Looks very good so far. Looking forward to following this blog.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1778 posts in 825 days


#2 posted 06-26-2014 at 06:03 AM

Jmart, I always enjoy seeing your marquetry masterpieces. Your project start looks perfect. I can’t wait.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

15659 posts in 1504 days


#3 posted 06-26-2014 at 07:44 AM

It looks great so far. I’m looking forward to see the finished piece.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase