Next up comes the tedious task of cutting all of the pieces to make up the rope. Somewhere north of 60 pieces for the border alone. I found a pattern online with the right diameter I wanted, so I printed out a couple copies, cut them up, and taped it down to the veneer I want to cut it from.
After cutting it all out, you are left with this:
While that would look all well and good on it’s own, I decided to give shading a try. This is the first time I’ve attempted it, so hopefully it will turn out ok. I pulled out the woodburning tool I bought from Michaels over a year ago for about $15, put the shading tool on, and got to work.
While it looks ruined, a lot of the shading should be taken off when it’s sanded. Hopefully.
Once that was finished, then it was time to inlay the Compass. I put it in the center, lined up all the points, and traced it out with the knife. Cut it free, and was left with this:
Once I got the compass in and taped to the background, I set on the task of inlaying the rope pieces. For this, I took another rope pattern and cut it into quarters. I decided to trace around the outside of the whole section of rope rather than doing each part individually. This went fairly quickly. To put the pieces in, I put some clear tape on the underside of the cut-out area to keep the pieces from moving around, and then used veneer tape once I got them into position. Once the veneer tape started to dry, I pulled the clear tape off and the pieces stayed where they were.
The gaps there are on purpose as I will be filling that in with a very dark wood dust and glue combo to further enhance the rope detail.
That’s where I left off for the day. Next up is the lettering for the name, followed by laminating it to the bottom ply, and working on the solid wood sides.
-- The quality of one's woodworking is directly related to the amount of flannel worn.