First things first was to size things up. I decided on a 14”x18” size, based off of some general dimenions pulled from several commercial available trays. It is small enough to ship easily, but should still hold enough to be worth it.
From there, I created the background by “jointing” 2 pieces of Sapele veneer to get straight edges, and then used veneer tape to hold them together. There isn’t any photos of this step as I completely forgot. Plus, it’s some tape holding 2 plain pieces of veneer together. Nothing really exciting going on yet.
From there, I needed to decide on just how large I wanted the compass rose to be. I mocked up the rough size with printer paper and drew it out a bit more accurate than my first draft.
After I decided on the final size, it was time to start cutting. For the 4 main points on the compass, it’s pretty straightforward to figure out. You have your overall length, which is 1/2 of the total length/width of the compass. Next up, you have a 45 degree angle at the inner point so that all 8 pieces will mate up exactly. After you decide how fat you want each point to be, you draw a straight line from that corner out the the very tip and then you are done.
The secondary points are a bit more difficult. For that, how fat your points are determines the angles needed. You also have to determine the length. For mine, I decided to make mine such that a line between 2 main points is the extent of the secondary point. I ended up cutting out a drawn secondary point and used that as a guide as I was happy with the proportions. I couldn’t tell you the angles used, so just use whatever looks good to your eye.
Once I was happy with the fitup, I veneer taped everything together, making sure to trim off the extra tape that would get in the way. I flipped it over to the backside and laid it on the backside of the background to see how it would look.
And both right side up:
-- The quality of one's woodworking is directly related to the amount of flannel worn.