After sanding the cast iron top with some 150 and 220 grit sand paper I decided to try the advice of EEngineer. I came across an old bottle of Naval Jelly that belonged to my grandfather so I applied some and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and here’s the result.
I never used the product before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It took off a lot of rust so I am happy with the results. There is only a small amount of rust that I will need to sand. I can jump to a higher grit sand paper now to really get it smooth and bring out some shine. I’m glad I do not have to sand off too much material. I didn’t want to loose those machine markings.
I picked up a can of Blaster Dry Lube PTFE at Home Depot for the trunnion gears. Then shot over to Harbor Freight and picked up an Jason Industries Accu-link belt for $19.99 today. With the weekend here I’m hoping to finish up the cast iron and get the gears spinning smoothly. Then It’s time to reassemble, adjust and wax then turn it on.