LumberJocks

Frustating Night in the Shop

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jjwoodshop posted 01-21-2011 07:13 PM 1115 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Wow…. So last night became such a frustrating experience out in the shop. There are seldom times I can say that, because just getting out there is usually so relaxing and just a welcome escape to tinker. But last night, man was that an exception.

It started off with my end grain cutting board, after cutting the initial glue up in strips and turning and arranging, it took the board out of proportion, made it smaller than i wanted, and i wasnt thrilled with the way the pattern lined up. Oh well, I went ahead and glued that up and set it aside.

Now onto the bowl blank i glued up. Again, walnut and maple. Working on a set here, made up of a salad set 9more on the later), cutting board, and bowl. So i go to mount the bowl up on the drive center, and as I am trying to set the center with some gentle coersion from the mallet, the $%#^ tips of the drive center breaks off in the maple. So I still try to mount it up on the lathe to get it roughed out, but the center won’t grip, so off it comes….

Now for the facepalte glue up and screw on for some added security of the large peice. Well, the screws I go to use….two sheer off in the maple. This is some HARD Maple!! So then I had to chisel those out, switched the blank around, mounted up to the walnut end, got it turn smooth, and went to start roughing out. Well….then that maple starting chipping out. When a three inch chuck blew out and poppoed me in the chest I was DONE!

Came off the lathe and decided it was time to clean the shop. so out came the shop vac, i cleared the bench. took out the trash, and cleared my head.

So then i said…you know, lets try this again, so I went back to the cutting board which was now well set.

Sanded it down with belt sander, and then the ROS. Looking good, end grain was popping nice, and the pattern was starting to grow on me. So I decided to take it over to the router table, another recent (previously owned) acquisition. Time to do a little roundover action and dress this board up. Haven’t used the table yet, checked the fittings, everything was set, tight, adjusted the level, blade seems sharp, bearing turning nice. Ran a test peice, slight height adjustment, think we are ready….

Load up the board against the fence, kick it on…. Bog on the maple….slight burn… Nothing a little sanding wont fix. Turn the corner, slight shift in the fence. srew lossened, little chip out, not bad, again, can sand it. Turned the corner again, little lag and burn, freakin a….keep moving, get to the end….HCIPS OUT A WHOLE FREAKIN CHUNCK OF BOARD, the whole corner, and shots it across the garage!

Seriously?

That was it, little more vacuuming and inside for the night. Then it was on to clean-up my salad set project completed a few days ago and had yet another “mishap”, but you can read about that under that project listing, and would welcome advice to that issue.

So all in all, it was just a rough night.

but the good thing is, tomorrow me (and my wife which is awesome!) are going out, pulling everything out of the garage, and totally reorganizing, to make it more functional as a dual role space, meaning, she will be able to park her car in there again! Will be nice to focus on the space for a while, organization and work flow, and get my mind off the projects that should be coming out of the space!

Just had to get this all out of my head.

-- "If you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original." - Sir Ken Robinson



3 comments so far

View stevenmadden's profile

stevenmadden

174 posts in 1837 days


#1 posted 01-21-2011 09:12 PM

jjwoodshop,

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad day in the shop. I’m just curious, did you give the glued-up cutting board enough time to sufficiently dry before diving into the sanding and routing? I recently completed a number of the end-grain cutting boards and I let the glue dry over night, even if they were out of the clamps. Just wondering how that could have happened. Glad to hear that there were no injuries.

Steve

View jjwoodshop's profile

jjwoodshop

29 posts in 1439 days


#2 posted 01-21-2011 09:53 PM

Looking at the section after the “chunk-out” occurred, it appeared that that edge/corner didn’t have a glue all the way to the edge. I think that was the issue…..

-- "If you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original." - Sir Ken Robinson

View Thepps's profile

Thepps

121 posts in 2501 days


#3 posted 01-27-2011 11:38 PM

Some days are like that. I usually just quit and try it again the next day. I find things usually work a lot better the next day. Even when I do have a bad day, I try to remember that I still have all of my fingers, so it couldn’t have been that bad.

-- Thepps - Freeburg, IL

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase