LumberJocks

jgt1942's Workshop

  • Advertise with us
Workshop by jgt1942 posted 07-08-2017 06:54 PM 390 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

View all workshops »

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

196 posts in 1700 days


click the marker to see the address

I’m using my two car garage for my workshop but per the HOA I must park my truck in the garage as well. This has made it super tight. My original thought was to put as much as possible on wheels. While I don’t have the wheel setup I want I did do a temp setup. Who knows how long this will last, :) A friend had made some pullout cabinets and I copied his design and built some for myself. Following is phase one. I used white board as the outside. The sides are a full 8’ plus they sit on 6” wheels and are just over 33” wide. The width was limited by the garage door rail.


The handles are 1/2” copper pipe, I made two different styles. The handle on the left was my first design. On the todo list is to modify the 2nd design and make them like the first design. The “T” in the top part of the handle proved to be very useful and allow me to more easily place a board marker in the “T” or hang something on the handle.

Following are the two different outer side designs. The cabinet on the left is the 2nd design and I like it much better than the original design. Hopefully I will upgrade the original design with the improved design. Functionally they work the same but the 2nd design is much cleaner.

-- JohnT


4 comments so far

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

196 posts in 1700 days


#1 posted 07-08-2017 07:03 PM

Very slowly I have been attempting to organize the workshop. For whatever reason God did not give me that talent when it comes to the physical part of organizing. But none the less I still struggle to make it happen. One of the major issues I had was the storage of my 5” sanding disk. Following is my original storage method.

After a bit of research I finally got serious about it, following is my finished attempt.

Obviously the bottom half needs my attention. Oh well another project.

The horz pieces are 1/8”, slide into the vertical separators and removable thus I can easily adjust the height of the opening. This was a huge improvement and has worked nicely.

-- JohnT

View Cathie Zimmerman's profile

Cathie Zimmerman

101 posts in 624 days


#2 posted 07-13-2017 01:03 AM

Nice job! I’m learning that organization is a continual process. :)

Good luck!

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

196 posts in 1700 days


#3 posted 07-13-2017 03:52 AM

For me it is always an uphill battle and it is SOOOOO nice when I can find what I’m looking for. :)

-- JohnT

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

196 posts in 1700 days


#4 posted 07-13-2017 04:04 AM

As a BIG step toward better organization I completed my build of my sanding sheet paper storage. Well almost completed it. I still need to put labels to identify the type of paper and grit.
Up till now my sheet storage looked like the following. Obviously this needed attention.

I search the forum and got a LOT of great ideas. I then created a SketchUp model.

I let the design set for two days, I then made some enhancements to the design. Following is the glue-up which was completed in two phases.


The following is the 2nd phase and is the back cover.

The finished unit. The vertical slot on the left is for the cutting board.

The cutting board is a piece of MDF, hacksaw blade on the right, lines to identify different widths.

I then installed the unit into my pullout cabinets.

-- JohnT

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com