I made some great progress with my lumber rack this weekend, I didn’t get much woodworking in last weekend but I made up for it this weekend and I’m paying for it, my back is way sore right now. But that’s ok I got a lot done so I’m happy :)
The bottom half of the lumber rack will hold plywood, and it’s divided by 5 levels. Each level consist of a yellow pine frame with an OSB top. I made these frames a while ago, they are from 2×10 SYP material from lowes that I’ve milled flat and down to 1 1/4’’ and 2 1/2’’ wide. I used halflaps glue and brads to connect the frame together.
A few days ago I picked up the OSB I needed and I didn’t use any glue, just a plethora of brad nails which seem to hold very well. I had to do this to all 5 frames to create the flag surface that would be the different levels of the lumber rack.
While I was cutting the OSB to size, I noticed something odd about one of the sheets of OSB, it had a very odd shaped bump in it. At first I had thought someone had dropped a bolt into the wood or something. But it was way to big for the thickness of the wood you’d see some metal. The only thing I can think of is that someone dropped a large bolt into the mold that’s used to press the OSB sheets, and so I got one with a bolt indent in it. Still was pretty cool and I decided to keep that scrap piece and save it for show.
Next I needed the spacers that will hold up each level, originally I planned on using just butt joints and glue but since I have the pocket hole jig I figured some extra screws couldn’t hurt. So I had to drill out all the pocket holes in all the spacer blocks (this is just 1 level’s worth of spacers).
Here is a picture after the first layer of spacers where added, then the next sheet flat surface was added on top.
Rinse and repeat that process a few more times and I get the final bottom portion of my lumber rack. A few things to note, the wheels where actually a last minute addition which bumps the rack a little higher than I wanted but I’ll survive. I don’t expect to be able to wheel the rack around while it’s loaded, I just wanted to be able to move it easily enough to get it into position. If they become a problem (cause sagging or something) I may have to remove them.
Today I needed to work on the top portion of the lumber rack that will hold the actual wood. The tricky part was figuring out how to drill the holes in the same spot in all 15 of the studs. When I ended up doing was using the holes drilled in the first one as a guide and using my hand drill and the 1’’ forsner bit I was able to drill deep enough to have a starter hole that I could finish up on the drill press.
After I drilled the starter holes and removed the original template piece, now it’s ready to go over to the drill press and rinse and repeat 13 more times.
My back was starting to bother me when I was almost done drilling all the holes, I had 2 studs left so I stuck it out and finished drilling all the holes for the 3/4’’ conduit pipe that will be used to support the wood. This is me testing the holes with a cut off piece of conduit.
Now it’s time to go lay down on the couch and play some skyrim on my xbox :)
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html