This is my shop space, as of friday night. I sort of let it get out of hand. Normally I clean up between projects but since I’ve adopted this “Lets work on 10 things at once” mentality that I’ve grown to love I let things get carried away so friday I spent a good deal of time cleaning things up and I had this idea on moving a few tools around.
Harold (known as Hjt) was visiting a friend in Oviedo so he wanted to stop by for a little bit on saturday which I agreed and we had a good time :)
He gave me the finer points of selecting a future wife, and I helped him with some sketchup stuff for a really cool shelf design I hope he builds because it looked really cool.
Later saturday evening I decided to do some duct work for the new tools which would make using them much easier. Currently I move my dust collector around to each tool that I use it with, and so I have to position my tools to make it easier for the dust collector to get to them.
I moved my bandsaw and jointer/planer to be at the end of my tablesaw, which really frees up a lot of space around the walls, but it makes it difficult to get to the dust collection ports with the machines so tightly put together, which was the main motivation behind setting up the duct work for dust collection.
I was able to tuck the duct work under my saw table pretty easily, which made me happy because I didn’t really want to run the duct across the ceiling I have an aversion to ladders. The way it works is I have 2 dust right input ports, one on my table saw, and one for the duct. Eventually I wouldn’t mind combining the 2 and adding blast gates, but for now this works easily enough the change over it right in 1 place.
The duct comesup to a T (I couldn’t find any WYE’s for 4’’ metal duct)gates on them.
Then splits into a 4’’ and 2’’ T both with blast gates on them.
The 2 inch connects to a small dust collection hose which I can connect to sanders and the kreg jig, and it works really well. The 4’’ doesn’t connect to anything yet so I just leave it closed.
The other side of the T goes under my tablesaw’s extension table and then is hooked up to 2 blast gates, one for my bandsaw, and another for my jointer/planer, all of the connections seem to work pretty darn good from initial tests.
I made a lot of progress on the mere mortal bench today, I did the bottom a little differently, I set up blue tape to protect the edges from the glue, and I didn’t use brads to hold down the slats I just clamped them down 1 at a time. This will let me unscrew the bottom. This way I can paint the main body 1 color, and leave the seat unpainted, or paint it a contrasting color.
For the back I set up 2 hardwood stops and angled them accordingly and clamped it securely to the bench. This gives me something to clamp too, and will prevent the pocket screws from pulling the back slats too far forward.
With the hardwood brace clamping the back slats was pretty easy, I just clamped over the bottom hole and screwed in the top hole. Then I can remove the clamp and screw in the bottom hole.
Here is a picture of the bench assembled, I have some rough sanding to do, and some woodfillter to put in some parts where I overscrewed the screws right out the side. I also need to fix the leg wobble it’s pretty bad, I’ll have to look up a guide on how to fix that I’m sure it is some leveling out one of the legs, it’s just figuring out which leg needs to be leveled.
Pretty good weekend though and now it’s time for a rest.
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html