One thing I enjoy about woodworking is the “walk away” nature of it. If you are stumped on a project, or just don’t feel like dealing with a certain task you can walk away and come back to it later. For a long while I was having trouble figuring out the best way to glue up the base cabinet that would sit under my sawstop contractor saw. also had the fear of screwing it up and having to start it over, being overwhelmed by these things I set the project aside for a while.
A few weeks ago I had some ideas on how to glue it up and figured I’d just go for it. I drilled the holes for the rubber feet got it all glued up. I used wood filler to fill the voids in the plywood, attached the dust collection PVC fitting (I used gorilla glue so it would fill the gaps since I cut the hole with a jigsaw it wasn’t perfect). I also decided to try out using latex paint instead of milk paint.
After about 3 weeks of working on it off and on, I made it to the triumph today I mounted the saw on the “finished” box. I haven’t screwed it down to the torsion box yet I want to make sure I get the fence set up so the side tables and everything fit on the torsion box base properly.
I’m sorry for the lack of pictures during these steps of the construction process. I couldn’t get a get picture of the saw mounted because there’s alot of stuff in the way. I need to put the crane I used to lift the saw up away.
The sawblade seems to be out of alignment with the miter slot, at least by my rough tests with my combination square. I’m going to make or buy a table saw alignment jig before adding the side wings in case I need to adjust the table’s position to the blade.
Once I get the wings on and more stuff put away so I can take some better pictures I’ll post about some of the things I did like adding weatherstripping foam to the bottom below the saw to help with the small gap.
Last weekend I also experimented with steam bending, I didn’t have a lot of luck the piece I tried to bend snapped I don’t know if it wasn’t in long enough or what. The thing leaks like crazy but it was able to get the steam up to 214F inside the tube so not to bad. I want to seal the holes that the carriage bolts are and put a single hole at one end for water release but it was a fun little experiment.
Once I get this figured out a little better I’ll post more details about my steam bending box, but really it’s a 5’ piece of PVC with a bunch of galvanized steel bolts shoved through it to hold the wood off the bottom. I used screw based ends, but I didn’t seal them on so there shouldn’t be any major pressure situations.
I use a digital meat thermometer that has a built in timer and alarm when you reach a certain temperature and it works pretty well.
That’s pretty much it for me, now to research some table saw alignment jigs
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html