This weekend I started on my contractor saw cabinet. This will take me a while to do, I hope to have it done by the end of the year but who knows. At very least I hope to have the saw mounted and usable and ready in another 2 weeks or so. I am continuing is some very large footsteps following zzzdoc and tedth66 design. zzzdoc has a long and wonderful blog entry detailing how his cabinet was built with a lot of help from ted. I hope to continue that and post as much details about my assembly in hopes to aid anyone else who wishes to do build something similar.
I almost feel bad for my current table saw, it’s last job in my shop will be to make the cabinet/stand for my new sawstop saw. Then I’ll have to sell it to make some room in my garage.
Here is the base, I think I made it too big .. my initial measurements were misguided. It’s 7’ by 32’’ .. I think it’ll be long enough but I think it’s too deep, I was measuring out to the edge of the fence, not keeping in mind where my feet will go. But I’m not to worried it will just have some more space in the back then originally intended.
I used 2×4 stock that I’ve jointed and planed flat to 3 1/4’’ by 1 1/4’’ roughly I did this because I was able to get some 6’ long 2×4’s hanging out the back end of my mini. Originally the plan was to use maple but I didn’t have any long enough and wasn’t looking forward to getting more, hopefully this will be sturdy enough, it feels pretty solid. One difference is the base is not 1 solid piece of 3/4’’ plywood, it’s 2 pieces since the 2×4 torsion box area stretched the full length the split doesn’t seem like it will be a big deal.
I drilled the holes for the wheels, then used wood filler on the screw holes and such and sanded everything smooth. 3 coats of lamp black milk paint over the visible areas (saw no reason to paint the inside of the torsion box area) and then 2 coats of wipe on poly over the entire bottom. I wanted to make sure I got the bottom good and sealed so I didn’t have any potential warping issues with moisture being absorbed differently from different parts of the base.
I liked zzzdoc’s idea of filling the recessed holes with epoxy so I did that this evening after the trick or treaters finished testing if my door bell was working. I’ll let the epoxy set overnight even though it says 5 minute and tomorrow I’ll sand the top. I didn’t paint the top yet because I plan on gluing other parts to the top and figured the paint would hurt the glue.
I have some more measuring and planning to do, the next step is to make the base the saw will sit on, it needs to be sturdy and also have it set up for dust collection. The other catch is how low the saw will be, one of the reasons I didn’t go for a cabinet saw is that they sit too high for me, and after the mobile base it would be even higher.
My goal is to have all the planning done this week so I can build the base the saw will sit on this weekend so I can get the saw mounted.
Thanks for reading and I’m always open to suggestions or ideas.
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html