The nice long weekend was well spent woodworking. I tried my hand at milk paint, Royal Blue, they didn’t have a dark enough green (or any green in stock) and I wasn’t brave enough to mix my own. I think next time I will be. I brushed on the paint just to get a feel for how the process worked and I really enjoyed it. Much easier than any oil based paint and it felt a lot like canvas painting when I was in highschool. I’d also like to try spray painting the milk paint with my HVLP gun and my air compressor. But I’ll worry about that next time I paint something.
I was able to get 3 coats of paint on saturday (the stuff dries so fast it’s great!) and I let it sit overnight. Sunday I sanded it down and applied 2 coats of wipe on poly and it made a world of difference. The paint was a bit dull but after I applied the first coat of poly it brightened up the color greatly. The second coat was for good measure, I didn’t feel the need to build up a super thick coat because I’m pretty sure the paint sealed things up pretty good.
Today I started on the task of making drawers. Here’s a picture of all the bottoms cut with the rabbets cut out so the drawer fits into the dado’s already made in the side walls. The drawers are made out of a bunch of scrap 1/2’’ sande ply I got from home depot a while back. I’m not a huge fan of the stuff it doesn’t look that great and wasn’t that much cheaper than the half inch birch I certianly won’t be getting it again but I figured I’d use up as much as the scrap as I can in the drawers.
The front and back of the drawers are made from a blondewood 3/4’’ ply, I liked the look of it and since I don’t plan on painting the drawers (just a few coats of shellac) I figured this would add a nice look. I cut out circular half holes in the top to put your hand to open the drawer on my bandsaw but my bandsaw skills are horrible and the cut is very rough.
I’ve been debating on a spindle sander and I was regretting not having one now, then I had the idea of using this chunk of purple heart that I was half done turning into a cup, added some addhesive sand paper to the cup, powered up the lathe and it worked pretty well.
I had my respirator and facemask on, good thing too because the first set of sandpaper I had on came flying off after the 3rd drawer front. I don’t think I would have been hurt without the facemask, but it never hurts to be cautious.
The sanding worked out perfectly, was able to smooth out all the hand holes and began glueing up the drawers. I don’t know if I’ll get all the drawers glued together today but hopefully I’ll have them all glued and varnished by next weekend.
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html