I spent most of last weekend and this week painting the shop cart and getting that finished. It is mostly done I would like to make some drawers for it, but here is a picture of it anyways.
At very least I learned quiet a bit from it, I learned I liked this frame structure for shop furniture, it’s very cheap and easy to build and the finished product is very sturdy (and heavy). I also learned I don’t like canned spray paint, at least not for large projects like this. It takes too many spray paint cans to provide a finish I would be happy with, and it makes far more of a mess than I’d like.
A few days ago I recut all the wood I needed for a new lathe stand, with updated measurements and it’s set up to do a loose tenon system this time instead of a traditional mortise and tenon.
Today I “should” have been cleaning up around my shop, or at least making the drawers for the shop cabinet but I couldn’t help myself I got a new toy yesterday and I’ve been itching to try it out.
After I researched a bit about mortise machines and loose tenon systems, I really wanted a Festool Domino. Alas my pocketbook said no. I didn’t want a bench top mortiser, for fear of how much space it would take up, and holy smokes some of the router mortise and tenon jigs where super expensive.
I narrowed my choice down to 2, the beadlock and the mortisepal. It was a close decision, but after factoring in the “total cost of ownership” the mortise pal beat out the beadlock and to me the mortise pal was more versatile.
Today I set out to find out, could I get the mortise pal to work similliarly to a Festool Domino. First I tried to see if there was any bit and template combination I could use to fit the existing festool domino’s or tuffer tennons. Unfortunatly I could not find the magic combination and settled on having to make my own “dominos”
I figuredout my tenons needed to be 7/8’‘x 3/8’’ .. this would work with the 3/8’’ bit + 1/2’’ template. I cut some strips from a peice of scrap material I had so it was the same material. (it’s 2×10 pine or something, I think douglas fur by the look but who knows)
I didn’t have a 3/8’’ round over bit so I used my 1/4’’ round over bit and made them close enough. After the roundovers, I went back to my table saw to cut them down to 1 3/4’’ length. That gave me a whole pile of my own custom tenons, more than I need for this project that’s for sure.
The next step was to see if I could actually use the mortise pal the way I wanted, and double up the tenons on the stock like I would on a festool domino. My first attempt didn’t go very well, but I figured out what I did wrong pretty quickly and my second attempt produced a perfect, reproducible fit.
I glued the test peices together, and the faces are all flush, and it’s pretty damn square if you ask me.
Tomorrow I plan to go full scale with this puppy and mortise out the frame and glue it all together. So far I’m very happy with the purchase and look forward to seeing the final results.
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html