Next step on my lathe stand was to start making the plywood panels to fill out the frame. I created the top and bottom and wanted to get a good feel for how the lathe sits on the stand.
After doing this I was pretty mad at myself. I had completely forgotten to take into account wheel height when I planned out the stand. So when I attach the wheels, the thing will be 5’’ too high. Which puts it at a really awkward position.
I took a break for a day or two just to ponder on what I could do to fix the problem. I thought about cutting the legs in half, trimming them and connecting them back together but I was concerned that it would compromise stability.
In the end I decided instead of fixing the lathe stand, I would turn the lathe stand into something else, a shop storage cart. I’ve been wanting to build one for a while now I need the storage space to help organize things a little better so might as well take advantage of the half built cart and see what I can do.
With a new plan layed out I moved forward, attaching the side panels.
I decided to put in a divider wall, one side will have drawers the other will be an open cabinet. If I had planned this better I could have added dado’s to the top and bottom panels and wouldn’t need the cleats. I’ve seen this done on TV, I haven’t tried it myself I was very pleased with how strong of a hold the cleats had.
And here’s a final picture with the divider wall installed.
Once I get the back installed I’ll do a bunch of sanding and get it ready for painting. I’m very happy with how it’s turning out and I look forward to making the drawers and such. Just means it’ll be a few more weeks before I get to fire up the lathe and try my hand at turning.
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html