LumberJocks

Shoe Bench #3: The quest for legs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jeremy Greiner posted 1137 days ago 823 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The Base Part 3 of Shoe Bench series Part 4: Staining and Glue »

Normally such an adventure would lead to some bar or night club, fortunatly for me that is not the case. I started with a 8/4 piece of poplar I picked up at my local wood craft. It had a fairly large crack down the middle about 12’’ deep but the area was marked as waste and I didn’t have to pay for that portion of the wood.

I jointed and planed the entire piece down to 1 1/2’‘

With some work I was able to get 2 of the 4 legs I needed out of the waste area of the wood. It left me with a small piece of scrap with a giant crack down the middle.

With all 4 legs cut, I needed to figure out how I was going to do the rabbet 3/4 of the way through the leg. I decided on using my router table and a stop block.

2 Scrap pieces of 3/4’’ plywood glued together and a hole drilled into the top form the base of the stop block.

Adding a t-bolt and a screw nob and I’m all set.

After running numerous tests I couldn’t get the rabbet into the piece without signifigant tearout at the location I wanted the rabbet to stop.

After a bit of thinking I decided on making the rabbet go all the way through the leg so I loaded up my dado stack into my table saw and cut the rabbets into the leg. Later I had determined if I had moved the fence and added some support on the opposing side of the piece that would have eliminated the tear out, I’ll have to keep that in mind in the future.

Cutting the trim was pretty straight forward, several pieces of 3/4’’ thick and 1’’ wide poplar strips that I cut to size. The next challenge was the tapers. I had purchased the rockler taper jig when it went on sale a month or two ago because I knew I’d need something like that for this project and the price was too good to pass up. It took me a few test runs to get the hang of how to properly set up the jig but once I got it dialed in I was able to produce consitant tapers for each leg.

Some sanding and blue tape on the glue areas and I’m ready for the next step, staining the trim and legs.

I wish I would have taken more pictures, like using the taper jig and cutting the trim. I was on a roll and didn’t think about it but I’ll make more of an effort next time.

-jeremy

-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase