hello all.. Now, having got the parts of the basic structure ready I wanted to get this glued up solid before fitting the parts that form the drawer pocket so I needed to get the legs shaped.
Apart from the use of the Cocobolo panels the legs were the only other part I was fairly certain of once I knew this would be a table. I had seen some legs I liked and which seemed like they would fit here.
I had a photo of the piece that sported those legs and imported it into sketchup. I used the parallel projection and x-ray views and traced the general shape of the leg. After some tweaking of the profile to my liking I printed it out full size in order to make a ply template.
Here you can see the leg blanks awaiting alongside the template.
But before I sawed those curves I needed to create some stopped chamfers on the upper corners of the legs. At some point during the journey I had imagined the frames surrounding the apron panels to have a chamfer that ends almost exactly at their surface leading the eye into them.
The router table was set up with stops and a chamfer bit to create these. I would clean them up with chisel and scraper during the shaping and smoothing of the legs and do a masons mitre to complete the corners with a chisel once the frames were glued up.
Here are the chamfers cut. In the end I made them larger and planed down the apron panels to meet the new, lower, inside edge of the frame.
Now to the bandsaw…
When I bandsaw curved parts like this I usually mark from a template using a thickish black marker. The wide line means I can cut to its outside edge and that leaves me a pretty even 3/32” to get down to the line when smoothing.
Smoothing with a spokeshave, scraper and block plane..
I wanted a tapered roundover on the outside corners so I built this jig from a spare (I don’t say scrap as I rarely scrap anything!) board and small offcuts (which because I don’t scrap anything I had lying around)..
The jig held the legs at an angle so at one end its further off the table and further from the fence than at the other. The idea was to get a head start on a round over that tapered from a full 1/2” radius at the top end to perhaps a 1/4” radius at the bottom. It worked OK, obviously the round over became less of a full radius as the piece moved out of the cut towards the narrow end. I’m not sure it was any quicker than just drawing on some guidelines and going at it with a block plane or spokeshave.
I Smoothed the partial radius into a full 1/4 circle with the block plane…
Sanded and scraped the whole lot a bit more to refine the surfaces..
Put a protective chamfer on the bottom end with a chisel…
And called it a job done…nearly assembly time….