Ok, with the panels laid up I got the edges planed to trim to final dimensions then, i have to admit, for fear of tearout I sanded rather than smoothing the faces with a hand plane.
Here shooting the edging strip that covers the top end of the lamination, the idea was to bring this down to about 1/16” so that it would coincide more or less with the round over on the edges and become near invisible..
Now to get the other bits done..
And pedal rail.
Then Finally to get some finish on things.. Unfortunately once again economy ruled over preference and the client having said they would buy me the poly I asked for, delivered me a tin of exterior marine varnish..ho hum.. I explained this was not ideal, but the money was spent so I got the ” just use it” response.. Had to experiment a bit to get the best from this finish.. said no dilution on the can, and it wa right, wiping didn’t work out well at all, set up to spray and after playing with the diltuion got reasonable results, though slow drying in a dusty environment is not helpful, and with the humidity here I would have liked to leave the pieces at least a few days before sanding back each coat..I has several disasters due to moving onto the next coat too fast ( damn economy again)... at one point I had to take half a panel back to bare wood and blend the stain..trurned out OK but the lower half of the panel had to stay a little dark..
Wet sanding with soapy water to lubricate..
So.. done, and all for nothing, but I learnt a great deal on this job and was interesting work… I won’t turn these parts into anything useful for a while as the client may think it through, fingers crossed as bills to pay and no food in the cupboards!