I have recently been working on some wooden parts for a rather worse for wear Yamaha upright Piano.. My work was all but done, just left with the assembly and final polish ahead. Unfortunately, the client at this stage has now decided they don’t want to pay the price and offered me, well, an insult, so at some point I guess I will be putting some piano shaped shelving together :) I have lost a substantial amount of time on this job, the first time I have done any lamination work and without a fully equipped workshop there was a lot of time invested in set up and preparation… but I learnt a great deal and enjoyed a good part of it so all was not lost… Just a little concerned about how I am going to eat this month :)
I will post a few pics up here, but there are a lot more of the process up on my facebook page if anyone wants to see more..
It all started with a rough chunk of Cedar..
The boards eventually became two glued up panels..
And then they got sliced up..
..and sent through the planer to bring them down to almost their final thickness.. this was done with great care to avoid ruining the thin pieces with tearout, wetting down before each light pass..
The laminations were laid up over an MDF core, the edge banding ended up being a bit thicker than the norm due to the dimensions of the MDF I had laying around.. Unfortunately down here economy often takes priority over the ideal..
I had to make the handscrew clamps for the glue up as I didn’t have enough, I also built a torsion box style platten to keep things straight…
Edging clamp up..
Edged and tidied up..
Clamp up (practise run)..
Laminated panel end detail..
As this is a little photo heavy I will continue in a second part I think..