Thought I’d finish this up with a final post, I am not including too much info about how I made the jaws as all that is well covered by danriffle in his original blog here.
As I was to use threaded rod in place of wooden screws I created the threaded jaw with two pieces laminated together and morticed the nuts into one of the pieces, having predilled thos epieces to locate the mortice correctly.. Unfortunately I was enjoying chopping out the little hexagons and forgot to take any pics :)
I can’t rely on my cheap benchtop drill press to drill close to straight and square so I used my router clamped on the benchtop with some stop blocks to plunge the holes using a straight bit. A spiral upcut bit would be better I guess, but as I don’t have any, a straight bit did ok to remove the excess after drilling an undersize hole.
All 12 jaws prepped up and drilled , just missing the angle cut on the front edge.
The little board I made for the octagonal handles came in handy for planing a chamfer on the edges of the jaws.
I ground the last 1/2” or so of the “pusher” threaded rods down on the belt sander to fit the stopped hole on the jaw.
Then just assembly of the parts into a working clamp..
All done :)
The clamps work well, I used a little candle wax on the threads to loosen them up and once you get the hang of setting the clamps up for the size of the item clamped it is easy to wind on the pressure and I find you can control if you are clamping more at the tip of the jaws or evenly along their length.
So, thanks Dan, great idea achievable with common hardware items, cost me about 15 dollars to make 6 with about a 6 1/2” capacity.