Well, I have had a busy few days, i should in fact be in the workshop now but i woke up today and could barely stand up. Sciatica attacks once again :( I tried to get on for while but ended up having to sit down and wondering how I would get back out of the chair. In the absence of pharmaceuticals I have had to break out a bottle of rum to try and take the edge of the pain.. So whilst out of action I thought I’d post up the second installment of this blog for the few interested parties.
So, where were we? Handles.. With the blanks tapped to accept a couple of inches of rod I needed to secure them. I decdided to pin them using woodscrews, as it’s what I had available. I drilled a small pilot hole through the handle while in place on the rod, leaving a corresponding mark on the rod. I then drilled out the rods to the diameter of the screw, replaced them on the handle, completed the pilot through the other side of the handle and then drove a screw down through both the handle and the rod.
This method was easy and saved me spending on epoxy, but it had it’s unexpected risks.. I managed to not quite align the holes (I think) on one of the handles. Driving the screw I guess it caught up on the threaded rod, doubled and broke in an instant under the torque of the drill ( I have a habit of having the torque way up all the time and forgetting to adjust).. Before I knew it I was looking at this..
Despite this little hiccup I managed to avoid further injury. I chopped down the screws with a hacksaw and sanded them flush, like this..
Check back for the final installment, and some finished handscrew clamps..