I got up bright and early today (okay I was up early but not so bright!) and decided to give the challenge391 cherry burl pen blank that Karson included in round 3 of the Pen Trade box. Got it all mounted up on the pen mandrall and now Karson will take a trip at 3000 rpm.
I anticipated that there would be some more voids in the burl as I turned it down to size and saved all the shavings to fill in any small voids, cracks or holes. Here the pen blank is turned part way down and there are a few places that will need some special attention. I will mix up some of the pen shavings with medium CA glue and work that slurry into any open areas.
I spray accelerator onto the pen blank, turn the lathe on and use 100 grit sandpaper to make sure all the voids get completely full.
I will now turn the blanks down to where they are just proud of the bushings. The top of the pen is the spalted willow from Steve glued to Karson’s cherry burl. I am going to make this into a modified slim line pen and the top will be longer than the normal slim line pen. This blank is ready to sand and finish. I will dry sand all the way to 1000 grit and then wet sand to 15000 grit. Finish will be three coats of thin CA glue, sanding in between coats with 0000 steel wool and then several coats of Mylands high speed friction polish. After the last coat of Mylands has dried I will crank the lathe up to 3000 rpm and buff the entire blank with a brown paper bag.
Have not sanded or put any finish on this yet – will get photos and continue after all the finish is completed. Apologize for the picture quality – not the camera but the user!
-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.