During Tim’s round three of the pen swap Karson put in several blanks of cherry burl and offered up a challenge to all lumberjocks to turn a pen from the cherry burl blank and post the results. When the pen trade box made it’s way to the west coast Steve threw in several spalted willow blanks and offered another challenge to all lumberjocks to turn a pen from his blanks. I posted the pen that I turned from Steves spalted willow blanks in the projects section, but in case you missed it here it is again:
This pen was sent to the troops in Iraq as part of the Turn for the Troops project. I recently received an email from the soldier who received the pen thanking me. Quite a bit of mileage on this pen.
Now I am ready to turn a pen from Karson’s cherry burl blank. The blank that I selected was very gnarly and had some very deep voids on one end.
I had a small piece of Steve’s spalted willow blank left and decided to combine Steve’s blank with what will eventually be the top of the pen turned from Karson cherry burl blank – east meets west. Here is the end of Steve’s blank glued up to the 1/2 of the blank from Karson. There were a few voids in this part of the blank and I flooded them with inlace.
The other end of the cherry burl blank needed some attention and I have decided to fill it with turquoise inlace material. I created a dam around the entire blank with duct tape (light on one side, dark on the other side and sticks to everything).
I now have both parts of the blank prepared to be drilled for the brass tube. Once the brass tubes are glued in and dry I will flood both blanks with medium CA glue and let them dry overnight.
Will give everyone an update on the progress of this project in the next couple of days.
-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.