I have finished sanded the spalted ambrosia bowl up to 600 grit and am ready to start putting finish on it.
I start the finish process by using an air compressor to blow all the dust from the bowl, then I wipe both the outside and inside down with BLO. The next step is to wipe on a good coat of Mylands high speed friction polish. I like to do the first coat with the lathe turned off and turn the bowl by hand. This allows me to get a good uniform coat on the entire surface. Once the Mylands is applied I turn the lathe on and buff with a paper towel. This is the outside after one coat.
The inside gets the same treatment as the outside. If you look closely in the bottom right corner of the bowl you will see two lighter spots – this is part of the spalting and will require several coats.
I apply 4 coats of Mylands, buffing between each coat then I wipe on a coat of Triple EEE. The Triple E is buffed in and then followed with another coat of Mylands. The final coat is Renaissance Wax, wiped on and then buffed with the lathe running. Once I am satisfied with the finish job I remove the bowl from the Nova chuck and reverse mount it on my Cole jaws. I always bring the tail stock up to the bottom of the piece to start working on the bottom of the bowl. Very light cuts with a bowl gouge towards the tail stock are used to clean up the bottom of the bowl. I remove the tail stock to take the final cuts on the bowl. For this bowl I decided to use my skew and make a series of grooves on the bottom of the bowl. My goal is to make the bottom of the bowl decorative and to completely eliminate how the bowl was held to be turned.
Once I am satisfied with the bottom of the bowl it gets sanded through 600 grit sandpaper and finished with the same process used on the rest of the bowl.
While the bowl is still on the Cole jaws I buff the entire outside of the bowl one more time to remove any dust. When using Cole jaws never exceed 600 rpm and make sure you know where your hands are in relation to the jaws. I only had to hit my knuckles once to learn this lesson. I painted the outside rim of these jaws a bright red to make them more visible.
The final step for the bowl is a trip to the Beall wheel and hit all three bonnets. Here is what the finished bowl looks like. I will post this as a project as well.
This bowl is 6 inches high, 11 inches across and a little less than 3/8 inch thick
-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.