In my last post, I had completed the construction of what I am calling the Tornado Bed. This bed will be donated to a needy family as a result of the massive tornado outbreak that occurred in northern Alabama on April 27th.
With the foot board completed, it was time to move to the more complex head board. Since my projects are typically the sloooowww moving variety, the bed is designed to be simple, but to have a few visually interesting features. One of which is the head board panel. Here is a view of the bed…
Since I had already fabricated the posts for the head board, I needed to form the lower cross rail and the panel. Each component is a glue up of two 1x select pine from the home center.
A photo of all the components of the headboard glued-up, and rough cut to size.
Tenons are cut to fit the previously formed mortises in the posts.
Vertical parts of the panel use stub tenon joinery and the left and right ends slip into the posts.
A dry fit of the panel system. Note the grain flows from one panel to the next.
I pre-stain and finish the panel system and glue it all together. One note, for the first time, I used Charles Neil’s pre-stain conditioner for blotch control on the pine. It works very well.
I then glue all of the head board components together.
The head board and foot board about 85% complete.
I am currently working on the side rails and the mortises for the bed hardware. I hope to have it completed by the end of September.
Thanks for looking,