I got a little more time in the workshop and a few more pictures of the blanket chest progress. First is a picture of the band-saw setup for rough cutting the arches in the bottom rails.
After rough cutting the arcs, I took those pieces and the templates to the router table. A 2” flush cut router bit did a nice job of cleaning up the band saw marks.
Setup for a little sanding. The craftsman box on the wall that the two sanders are plugged into, turn on my shop vac, whenever one of the sanders is turned on. It turns off the shop vac about 3 seconds after the sander is turned off. Very handy for controling sanding dust.
Here is the equipment for installing the stay-tight hinges. The hinges are designed for 3/4” stock so had to mortise them into the 1” stock used in this frame. I am using 3 of the 60 inch pound hinges and that’s a little shy for the almost 200 inch pounds called for by Rockler’s hinge selector guide.
Got a little careless driving a hinge screws and snapped it off. This tool, which a local hardware store had in stock allowed me to drill out a plug that contained the broken screw. For the life of me though, I can’t understand why the teeth on the screw extractor work counter-clockwise. A drill press is the perfect match for this screw extractor, except it won’t run in reverse. I ended up taking the drive belt off, and turning the chuck backward by hand to set the cut for the first 1/4”. Then to the hand drill which does have a reverse. Go figure.
And then cut the plug off flush, sand, and redrill.
Now for a little work on the top. I started by taking the lid to a friend with a time-saver sander. 10 minutes later it was flat, smooth, and sanded to 180 grit. The only technique I’ve mastered for turning a glued up panel into a flat panel is to borrow a friends equipment. That’s something I need to work on. Anyway, here I’m cutting the panel to final width.
The lid will be held flat with 4 strong-backs (or whatever the term is). First, set up the drill press with stop blocks and a pilot bit and drill one of the supports. Then used this pattern to drill pilot holes in the bottom of the top. First drill one pilot, used an extra drill bit to secure one end of the piece in place. Then after squaring everything up drilled the remaining pilot holes.
Back to the drill press to drill 1/2” counterbores and 7/32” through holes.
With a 1/8” modified truss head screw there should be enough room to prevent cross grain expansion problems.
Next will be the framework for the aromatic cedar lining. I got some of that into the shop yesterday and it immediately filled the air with that wonderful cedar smell.
Thanks for looking.
-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--