Gluing up the top took a fair amount of time. Originally I had planned to glue up sub sections and then glue the subsections together.
When gluing the first two subsections together, I found it difficult to get enough clamping pressure to get a real tight glue line. In fact the only glue line in the whole project that isn’t perfectly tight is where I glued the two subsections together. Knowing that I wasn’t going to be able to do anything with subsections of 4, 6, & 8 laminates thick, I changed to gluing up one laminate at a time. The glue-up became much easier to control and I was able to get the top of the top in pretty close alignment. Some pictures, minus the last two plys.
Drilled the best board I had with dog holes, every 5”.
Another friend, Steve, has a brother that works at a local timber framing business. We took the top to him and ran it through their TimeSaver, saving lots of time and frustration. I’d love to have hand planed the top down, but I’m just not skilled enough to do it right. I did practice some on the bottom of the top though.
Here’s the top after the timesaver w 60 grit. It burned the bottom a little bit, but nothing that a little ROS @ 180 grit won’t take out.
The mortis routed out for the Jorgensen vise.
The last 18” of dog hole strip was cut off and screwed in through dog holes in the front lam. I was concerned that the front laminate, running wild, might get damaged.
Another day, another story tomorrow. I’ll show how the base is attached to the top, the end caps, and how the two vises are attached.
-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--