I will try and share as much information about my cyclone as I can.
When I first got started I went to Home Depot and to just see what they had. I found an 8” x 24” duct that was split down the middle, next I found cut off pieces of 2” PVC 24” long, in the plumbing area I found 2” rubber couplers with band clamps on both ends, all I needed now was a 5 gallon bucket and I had all the parts I needed.
I didn’t take any pictures during construction so I will just try and describe what I did. I got 2 small C clamps and clamped the top of the duct together then just twisted the bottom until the diameter was about 3” and clamped it. Then using the small self tapping sheet metal screws like you would use for rain gutters I put about 4 screws down the seam. So now you should have a cone about 8” at the top and about 3” at the bottom.
This was a real pain and it took a few tries to get right so don’t give up.
I then cut a piece of 3/4” plywood in a circle the size of the inside of the top of the cone and put a hole in the center using my hole saw for the top pipe. Then I put this piece in the top of the cone, it really helped make it round. Then just put a handful screws around to keep it in place.
For the bottom I cut a piece of ¾” plywood to fit the lid of the bucket. Then cut a hole that the bottom of the cone would fit in with a little bit of metal going all the way through. Then the part that was sticking through I made some little cuts and hammered the little tabs over onto the wood and put some small screws to secure them.
To cut the inlet pipe I just held the pipe above the cone and drew the curved shape on the PVC pipe and cut it out with my band saw. I then put that cut curved part against the cone and outlined the shape. Then cut out that shape in the side of the cone so the pipe would fit in the side. I used 2 part epoxy to glue the inlet pipe in place.
This is very tough to describe I hope you aren’t totally confused.
Now that the basic cyclone is made I used caulk to seal up all the cracks. Then cut I hole in the top of the bucket lid put some caulk between the lid and bottom piece of plywood and put a bunch of screws to connect the two.
You should now be mostly done, just make sure there is an air tight seal everywhere so you don’t lose suction. When I put the pipe in the top I made some little braces to keep the pipe vertical.
I hope this rambling makes some sense, you can ask me specific questions if needed. Good luck to everyone who tries this. I’m really surprised at how well this works, and it was well worth the time and trouble to make!
I will post a drawing to the project page.
-- Jeff Coulam, Lakeway Texas