1966 Unisaw Refub

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by jbswearingen updated 11-03-2012 02:44 PM 8 parts 18101 reads 24 comments total

Part 1: What a find!

07-10-2012 02:25 PM by jbswearingen | 7 comments »

On a whim, I typed in “Unisaw” into the DC CL search and this popped up. $150 was his asking price, and I was the first to call. By the time I got to his house four hours later (after work, and it was 1.5 hours to his house), a dozen had called. The seller was really nice in both holding it AND not raising the price on me. He wasn’t home, but his wife and son were there to help load it. They bought it about 15 years ago with him saying, “I’ll get it running on...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Command decision: It's gonna get repainted

07-11-2012 02:58 AM by jbswearingen | 1 comment »

I spent a good bit of the day researching this refurb and watched a YouTube series that showed the job to be relatively simple…as long as the parts inside aren’t damaged. If I’m lucky, I’ll be able to open it up tomorrow to look; I wasn’t able to today. Though I did clear out the shed out back to move some stuff into it from the garage, so I now have plenty of room to work on it. Don’t mind the awkward narration in the first episode; it gets better in ...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Initial condition pics and disassembly has begun!

07-11-2012 06:52 PM by jbswearingen | 5 comments »

MOAR pics! I got it mostly torn down and found out it appears to be in really good shape. There were three missing bolts (so far)—two for the table top (out of five) and the bolt that holds the motor in place is missing. I’ll replace the square nuts that secure the base to the stand with regular hex nuts—it took me nearly 20 minutes to get them off! The ways that the motor rotates on are VERY clean. The gears look pretty good with a bit of ...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Rust removal...Go!

07-13-2012 10:48 PM by jbswearingen | 7 comments »

I’m trying my hand at rust removal with electrolysis for the first time, and so far, it looks good. I’m using my 10A battery charger, two pieces of 1/2×18” rebar, 12AWG wire, a plastic tub that is just a bit too small, and washing soda. An hour and a half in, and there is already rust floating on the surface and a steady stream of O2 and H2 bubbles coming off the rebar pieces. I’ll put more pics up as it progresses. I’m hoping to get ...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Electrolysis really works!

07-16-2012 02:16 PM by jbswearingen | 0 comments »

Three days later, the base is clean of rust, with bare, black cast iron where there was rust. Also lots of peeling paint as the rust underneath was removed. The stand is going through one final cycle while I’m at work, but when I get home today I’ll scrub all the surfaces with a steel brush to remove any loose material and apply primer to seal the base against further rusting. My buddy has a nice air gun for painting he’s loaned me. We’re going with fire engine r...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Repainting has begun...

07-19-2012 03:16 PM by jbswearingen | 3 comments »

...and even if I were to leave it primer red, it would still look better than when I got it! In the end, though (don’t remember if I posted it yet or not), it’ll be fire engine red with black accents. Different from the original, but not too garish. These pics were taken with my phone; I’ll get much better pix with my camera in daylight when it’s all done.

Read this entry »

Part 7: The Uni is being put aside for a while...

08-26-2012 06:17 PM by jbswearingen | 0 comments »

I just picked up several older wood working machines from the estate of a cabinet maker that passed away a few years ago. Included are a 70’s Belsaw planer/molder, a 70’s Craftsman disc/belt sander, a 1945 Delta 6” jointer (trying to sell it), an 80’s Intergram 1/2hp shaper (up for sale, too), a 20” DeWalt RAS (for sale or trade for an 8” jointer), a huge 5hp DC system (trading it for a Grizzly 3hp shaper), and, to top it off, a single phase 1993 Powermati...

Read this entry »

Part 8: ...and she's found a new home

11-03-2012 02:44 PM by jbswearingen | 1 comment »

With my now-running PM66 taking up a large patch on the shop floor, I couldn’t justify keeping the Unisaw in the hopes of eventually getting it running. I would have loved to keep it, but common sense occasionally must prevail… I put it up on CL and in less than two hours had a buyer. He and I spoke for a while, and I think the Uni will get the attention it deserves and get back to work for another 46 years of service!

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics