This is a long convoluted story from the project side, but pretty straight forward as a blog.
I made a panel sled…....a 3×3 foot monster.
One sided, blade to the left, fence at the front. The sled is not finished off, meaning, I am going to put a little oak on the front, the rabbeted pieces are already cut and sized, and give it the ubiquitous coat of WATCO. In my shop, WATCO is the rule for jigs and fixtures.
Here is the underside.
It only has one working slide. The slide on the edge is to make it level for the outfeed table….......
Large but light, 1/2 inch MDF and my aluminum and hardboard sandwich slides.
The sled is just to the right of the blade, hence only one slide.
Fence Detail: (see pictures down the page)
The aluminum angle fence is attached with screws and bolts at the ends. The bolt near the blade is actually run through a threaded hole in the aluminum angle. The end bolt goes through the edge slider for strength and has an oversized hole in the angle for adjustment. The other screws in the angle are through oversized holes in the angle aluminum. All screws and bolts are fixed with lock washers.
Notice the front projection for the slide. When I start a cut the slide is fully engaged on the TS top, front to back.
My runners are made from 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch stock aluminum, glued to 1/8 inch hardboard, about 1/16 inch narrower than the aluminum with CA glue. The slide is also screwed, the edge slide is not. Aluminum because it is easy to work, including countersinking the screws, steel would be nicer….....a compromise, the slide is glued to the MDF or plywood with Titebond III
This looks like a great way to build a sled for panels, quick, relatively light, and accurate, it is simple, quick, and cheap.
Note the support, a piece of aluminum tubing in some already dadoed oak, that was waste. The tubing is not attached, it rolls and slides with the wood.
Why did I make this unwieldy beast? Well it is a long story. It is about sleds.
Once upon a time…... there was this novice LJ, who decided to make a crosscut sled…......simple….......and when the LJ buddies, gurus, and experts got through with it…........it became a super sled. Almost done. Except for the miter arms. So routing the oak the for the arms…....
no matter how I clamped it, the oak jumped around and I got lousy slots.
The problems was layers, I needed room underneath, because it was a through slot, and that meant layers of clamped guides. Bad.
So not knowing there was a slick method to make slots on the router table, I decided to make a project table, reversible, one side for through cuts, the other side absolutely flat with reference angle corners to do glueups, setups, whatever.
Now, once finding the way to make the slots, already well on my way with the project table, I said to myself:
’This project table is a great idea, I am going to go on and finish it’.
It is a convoluted strange variant on Bricofleur’s Rout through Jig, http://lumberjocks.com/projects/23200,
(I didn’t realize this until I was half way through it, and it was obvious that the general idea came from him, I had favorited his jig).
Now the project table top is reversible in my standard 2×4 foot project table base, so it already has prebuilt legs. So I finished it off. Lot of glueups. Needs a little metal to make it robust, meaning nails and screws, but heavy and absolutely flat…...........and but…......
.........the sides were not straight and the corners therefore were not reference angles….... I wanted that.
So, to the rescue, the Quick and Dirty Panel sled.
So today, I finished the sled….......
This is basically using the TS as a Jointer.
I had to use a run off fence to guide it because the table top was longer than the sled. Check out the Rockler fence clamps….....
So I ran my project table top through the saw, using the sled, all four sides….......
But….....checked it out…..........
PERFECT STRAIGHT SIDES AND ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ANGLES FOR REFERENCE AT EACH CORNER…......ALL RIGHT!!
.......an overview of the sled with the project table on it….........
Notice the project table way in back. It is used for an infeed table, just supporting the corner as I get started.
Another view of the sled in action, note the clamped stop block. When I turned the project table top crosswise that was not possible, but it still worked well….......
I am really excited….....this Q&D sled worked out great…......
........next blog is the project table top, essentially complete. A real oddity.
Hope you enjoyed sledding, on the 4th of July…...........(-:
-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska