Today I got up pretty early and put the bolt holes in the main fence for my sled.
All 6 of them. Not as simple as one would like. I am not gluing the fence down, I am making it removable for additional items or replacement. These are 3 inch carriage bolts. Nuts on the top of the fence for easy accessibility. Carriage bolts because you can tighten the nuts without holding the bolt. Rudimentary.
I made one bolt tight with 5/16 inch hole on the end, since the bolts are 5/16, and the rest are 3/8 inch to enable adjustment. I should have made them all 3/8 inch, the tight hole was hard to negotiate and needed some enlarging.
The origin of the problem is the countersinking both top and bottom.
And then secondarily drilling the main hole. Hard to get everything to line up over a distance of nearly 4 inches. I accomplished it, with careful measurement and an assortment of drill bits….......shhhhhhh…..and a bit of filing. I knew enough to start the task early in the morning.
So it is done. I have also finished the main fence, the sled base and the short…......er…....call it the small fence with a couple of coats of clear Watco. The small fence will be installed tomorrow morning with 4 lag bolts. Not likely I will ever have to move it or replace it.
To align the sled fence, I just used my Vega TS fence, which aligns perfectly with the miter slots, and a large square. But of course I will test it, and because it uses bolts, I can adjust it. In fact, there was the slightest bit of cupping in the fence, so using one of my new Bessey clamps I pulled it right and adjusted the 6 bolts...........that’s why there are six bolts. Allows for maximal adjustment. OCD.
But I skipped a couple of steps. When you are working, and are OCD, things take time.
On Tuesday, I think that was the day, I put on
the rails (slides, whatever you call them that slide through the miter slots). Formed of a sandwich of 1/8 inch hardboard slightly less than 3/4 inch wide, and 3/4 inch wide aluminum bar.
Spot glued them together with Super glue.
Then glued them in place on the sled base again with super glue, after aligning the sled with the Vega fence. Then did a little filing, a little center punching, and they are near perfect.
The rails are fixed in place with wood screws through countersunk holes in the aluminum. Paste waxed the table saw and silicone greased the miter slots, and took the silicone grease off the next day and put on paste wax. Silicone is a no-no on the table I found out. Pretty smooth now, though.
Wednesday, I installed the T-track. OCD strikes again. I plan to use these T tracks for all kinds of things…...this sled is meant to be a jig platform among other things. I didn’t use slots, they can develop wear patterns …... DaveR …....pointed that out. But I am using 3/4” ply…...nahhh….0.7 inch ply. After routing for the T-track, I had about 0.3 inch of wood to use. I might use wood screws and even a little glue, but the latter would affect my ability to repair a wear item. Flat head machine bolts and countersunk nuts to the rescue. Tedious, 5 per T-track, but you are really going to have to do something strange to dislodge that T-track. All kinds of calculations and measurements.
So there you have it, tomorrow put the far fence in, make the kerf, and test and adjust the alignment. Then make the miter arms. The miter arms ought to be fun.
The sled, small fence not yet installed, but ready….......
The small fence…......
When the sled is done, I am going to make some router table modifications, and then I have to make a quick and dirty computer cart.
And then I am going to make the world’s most useful and interesting outfeed table, and the TS right extension router table.
......sounds like a lot of fun…...........
-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska