This is part 2 of my bench build blog. I’ll continue talking about the base construction and how i went about it.
Once I had completed the “easy” mortises that were 1/2 inch, I moved on to the 1 inch mortises for the knockdown hardware. I chose to use a template, template bit and 1/2 upcut spiral bit to do the job. I had seen another method used on another blog where the author used a Festool MFS but didnt have the room in my budget for one of those so I improvised. I started with a 3/4” spade bit to hog out most of the material and then finished with the template and spiral bit taking 1/4” or so passes until I bottomed out at 2”.
After finishing the 4 monster mortises, I fit the tenons and then assembled the base.
After seeing things looking good together, I took things apart and drilled holes for holding the holdfasts, dog “push up” hole and the holes for the knockdown bolts.
Once those were done, it was time to install the vise (next blog entry).
To keep things together related to the base, I drilled and installed the drawbore pegs to draw the mortise and tenon joints tight.