It seemed simple enough. Take out the old blades, replace with new ones, screw em’ in, turn on the unit and… BLAMMMMM!!! All hell breaks loose and I’m REALLY glad I replaced the safety shield on the unit. There are blades flying around below the beds and sparks, and… What in the heck happened??
I was not being a typical “man”, but actually read the directions, three times! Are the wood gods out to get me cause of all the wood putty I’ve used?? Have I failed to pay my taxes?? Did the sun rise in the west?
No, not that. Turns out the owner’s manual skipped one little bitty word on the diagram. “Jack”, yeah, my name, they forgot to label the screw as the “Jack Screw” described in the directions but, not to be found in the diagram…
Scary, no doubt.
I’ve been fortunate to only router a couple of fingers on my router table so far and didn’t want to add a (no doubt) “masculine” looking scar to my face from the jointer or any other bit of machinery I have. I know it adds character but as most of you know, I already have enough character as I am now…
I ordered a second
new set of blades (freud) and put them in on top of the the “jack” screws (I guess), turned on the monster and voila! No flying razor blades… ;0) Someone needs to inform Ridgid that their owner’s manual is not specific enough for this operation. Maybe it’s time to trade up to a 12” Delta or… ;0)
Anyways, be careful if you have one of these especially the model before the newest version…
The second picture shows the first set of blades totally mangled but not easily seen… As you see, I also tried using the new Rockler jig too.
-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!