LumberJocks

Kitchen cabinetry #5: Closing in on the last steps

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jake posted 02-10-2014 05:44 AM 1211 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Installing upper cabinetry Part 5 of Kitchen cabinetry series Part 6: Making doors »

Alright, been a while since I last posted anything. Not much to say except that I am one arrogant PITA to myself… I am kind of pissed at myself for taking on a project of that magnitude :D. After all the hours I have put in, it would have been cheaper to buy some higher end cabinets. But alas, even if I did, they would have not been as durable as these 3/4 baltic birch bad boys. But I am sure it will all be well worth it in the end.

Some pics about the project then:


Damn, some of these pieces came out nice, I really like the grain on this one. Too bad most of them will not be seen from anywhere once the machines go in.


Planing the bottom to be flat-ish.


Routing some material off for inlays

I don’t have all the pics, guess I got so caught up, I didn’t take them yesterday. I also took my planes to the top part, even though I had sanded it to 180 previously, that was in december when I was not in the abyss of handplanes yet. And since this big hunk of Iroko was milled with a bandsaw it had a lot of small ridges. So I went ahead and knocked those ridges off, made quick work of it, but had to sharpen more often than with maple or oak.

What else have I done:
Sub-assembled 3 cabinets, only 2 more to go.
Cut 1 of 2 butterflies for the ends – the Iroko was split on both ends, not too bad, but that huge slab it is going to be expanding/contracting anyway, so I wanted to lock it in place at least as well as I could..

Things yet to do before taking this bad boy upstairs for installation:
1. Planing the inlays down
2. Cutting the 2nd butterfly into the top and putting in the butterflies themselves
3. Glueing in the corner piece of sapwood
4. Cutting off some corners
5. Making a leg for the L part
6. Rounding over the edges
7. Cutting in a hole for the sink and stove
8. A metric crapton of sanding, up to 400 with the ROS and then probably grits from 600 to 1500 handsanding, depending on the elbow grease I might finish before 1500.
9. Relocating some outlets in the kitchen and putting it all in.
10. 3 coats of BLO

11. Have some Mr Jack on the rocks and take a breather.

Looks like a lot of work but I should be able to start installation by the end of the week, depending on how quickly the inlays for the butterflies come together – tried cutting them yesterday but didn’t work, going to try with a Router and a template today. (I made the butterfly in the table top with a router and template which worked out well, but without a large beltsander or any stationary sander of any kind making the inlay has been a PITA, so I am hoping a template to cut out the inlay will do the trick)

For anyone interested, the Table top is 2” Iroko Mahogany (Afrikan Teak), 25” x 9’ , the portruding L is 24”x 24”. And it weighs a metric ton, honestly, at least 120 pounds. A lot of heavy lifting on truning this thing around,. I hope once I get the sink and stove cut out, I can still get it upstairs in one piece.

-- Measure twice, cut once, cut again for good measure.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com