A few weeks have passed since i initially glued up the counter tops. Now it was time to start building the base and tying the cabinets together. My dad offered to come over for a day and help with anything i needed and i couldn’t say no to that!
We planed and ripped all the boards to give it a new fresh edge and dress things up a little. First we attached a cleat to each side of the cabinet and used some lag bolts for a secure hold.
We initially thought about using plywood to tether them together but the space i wanted in between was going to make them around 10’ from end to end and i didnt’ feel like special ordering expensive plywood for that. We decided to just use some 2×6 pine instead, two on the top and two in the back. Before we attached those we leveled one cabinet and with a 8’ level we spanned it across and leveled the other one to make them level with each other. once we had all the 2×6 spanning boards secured it was made it pretty ridged.
(I didn’t take the time to take step by step pictures as we went.)
That was about all we got done that day. Most of it was spent driving around getting materials we needed. Also now i’m able to most of the rest on my own.
This week i started in rising up the counter top with some 2×4 material. I attached them with pocket screws. i probably used too many, but i figure i’d rather have too many than not enough.
I also built a support leg for the long side of the table with leaving enough space to park my red snap-on cart under. I haven’t attached it yet.
I finished cutting and attaching the masonite on top of the counter last night and screwed that down.
-- Josh - Rochester, MN