I’ve seen a lot of shop floor ideas here, but I’m sort of waffling on what to do in my shop. If anyone has experience with multiple flooring options, I’d be thrilled to hear your comparisons. I’ll list a few requirements and flooring options below, but feel free to offer up additional suggestions that I may not have considered.Requirements:
- Must be easily removable – I’m not sure I’ll live here forever, so I want the floor to be easily removable in case the next owner thinks garages are made for cars. I’m not going to nail it down to the floor, but I’m pretty sure the weight of the floor itself will keep it from sliding around, even before I put my equipment on top.
- Some insulation factor – it gets cold here in Iowa, and it would be nice to be able to work in my shop in the winter.
- Easy to install – ideally the floor should be something I can put together by myself in an afternoon or, at worst, over the duration of one weekend.
- DriCore/Barricade: Seems pretty easy (see Ron Hazelton video), and I won’t come anywhere near the weight limit. Doesn’t seem to require a moisture barrier. R-value: DriCore 1.3/Barricade 3.2. Price: $1.50/sq. ft.
- OSB/Plywood on 1×4 or 2×4 sleepers: will take longer to install, requires moisture barrier. I’m assuming the sleepers will be roughly the cost of the foam for now and negligible cost for the moisture barrier.
- with pre-sized foam – R-value: 3.64 (23/32” OSB~0.74, 3/4” expanded foam panels=2.9). Price: $2/sq. ft. (OSB $0.52/sq. ft., foam $1.48/sq. ft.)
- with extruded polystyrene sheets – R-value: 4.74. Price: $0.85/sq. ft. Downside: more work because I have to cut the sheets down to size.
There’s potentially a lot of variation in the OSB/plywood option. For example, I could make the floor thicker for better insulation. I could also get 8×4 extruded polystyrene sheets which are cheaper and have a higher R-value than the expanded foam panels and cut them to fit myself, but that would require more work.Questions:
- What kind of floor do you have?
- How long have you had it, and have you had any problems with it?
- Do you wish you had done something different?
- If going the OSB/plywood route, how thick does it really need to be?
- Has anyone used shops with different types of floors—for example, DriCore vs. OSB, OSB vs. plywood, thinner OSB vs. thicker OSB, etc. Is there a noticeable difference?
- If going with DriCore, how well does it stay locked together over time if you don’t nail it down?